Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Current HurdAudio Rotation

Terry Riley: Atlantis Nath. I wrote about this one earlier. I'm still charmed by it - warts and all.

Peter Apfelbaum and the Hieroglyphics Ensemble: Jodoji Brightness. I love the compositions/arrangements on this one. The setting of the Dylan Thomas poem "The Hand That Signed the Paper" opens my ears to some outstanding words.

Terry Riley: The Book of Abbeyozzud. A perfect example of the "moving target" quality of Terry Riley's output. These are great arrangements for acoustic guitar and percussion that are a real sonic departure from other Riley soundscapes. This is one I keep coming back to.

Albert Ayler: Holy Ghost box set Disc 1. This is another one I've written about in this space. I keep going back to hear Ayler and Cecil Taylor playing together.


The Bad Plus: Suspicious Activity? Another one I've mentioned earlier. It keeps sounding cool.

Elliott Sharp/Orchestra Carbon: Abstract Repressionism: 1990 - 1999. This one gets plenty of rotation here at HurdAudio. Exquisitely ugly and some great thematic lines that really stick with you.

James Tenney: Postal Pieces. Rembering this inspiring composer, teacher and friend. These conceptual, post-card sized compositions are stunning examples of how much sound lurks within simple forms and ideas. These pieces really open up the ears.

No comments: