Sunday, February 25, 2007

Leroy Jenkins: 1932 - 2007

Sad news: the great Leroy Jenkins passed away yesterday. He will be missed and leaves behind a great sonic legacy that will endure.

It was just earlier this month that I came across Leroy Jenkins: Solo at Normals Books and Records. I scooped it up knowing that my ears would obsess about hearing such a treasure to the point of sleep deprivation if I didn't. The chance to hear Jenkins' great sound and creative energy in isolation on a full-length CD is not something to pass up. I also picked up some Revolutionary Ensemble discs on that same excursion. So Jenkins has been in my ears a lot these past few weeks. He was a rare soul.

I had the privilege of hearing Jenkins perform live with Equal Interest - a trio with Myra Melford and Joseph Jarman - in Seattle. I remember being struck by how well his dynamic range meshed with the overall meditative quality of that music.

Also, Highwire, featuring his work with NOJO is well worth hearing. I can't recommend it enough.

No comments: