Friday, June 03, 2005

It's A Meme, Meme, Meme World


propagating the meme of bound-pages. Posted by Hello

John Shaw graciously accepted my music-meme baton and tossed a little book-meme back my direction from his uTopian paradise.
You are stuck inside Fahrenheit 451. Which book would you be?

This Bradbury classic is another one for my long list of books I must read one day. One day I hope to read every book that's ever been censored/burned or otherwise ruffled the odd authoritarian feather.

Perhaps a good place to start would be to work down this list of the 10 most "harmful" books of the 19th and 20th century as determined by a panel of "conservative scholars." I'd be interesting to see a list of 10 books this panel approves of though I get the impression they're (a) not in the positive assertion game, (b) can't come up with that many books and (c) feel that literacy among the unwashed masses has gone quite far enough thank you very much.

If I'm stuck in Fahrenheit 451 as a book I should hope to be #1 on that list: The Communist Manifesto. It's good to be #1. Though I was really rooting for Darwin to place higher on that list. Have any of these conservative scholars read Dawkins? Or is he not 19th/20th century-harmful enough for them? I'd love to be a Dawkins book within F451.
Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?

Hmmmm. Being fictional really excludes one from the "crush" realm. Some characters have been endearing enough that I never want the book to end. But literary attraction is really a different creature that transcends the "crush" thing.
What is the last book you bought?

Books seem to find me. I try to read and pass them on and they seem to flock in my direction much faster than I can read them. The stack of books has been high enough to discourage actively purchasing them. The last thing I can recall paying for is a biography of Karl Marx by Francis Wheen. Which happened to be a pretty good read.

What are you currently reading?

At any given time I'm reading about four books. I'm pretty systematic and finish just about everything I start. But it can take some time to finish. Currently the stack of 4 is: The System of the World by Neal Stephenson, Darwin's Dangerous Idea: Evolution and the Meanings of Life by Daniel C. Dennett, New Musical Resources by Henry Cowell and Ascension: John Coltrane and His Quest by Eric Nisenson.

Five books for your desert island cruise package.

I'll interpret this as "5 significant reading experiences."

(1) The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne.
(2) Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain.
(3) Straight Man by Richard Russo.
(4) Bingo Palace by Louise Erdrich.
(5) Silence by John Cage.

Who are you going to pass this slambook baton to and why? (only three people)

I'll toss this one over to The Standing Room because I'm sure he's well read and he's tossed a meme my way before. I'd also like to see the Fredosphere take on this one as he's quite the science fiction fan (an unfairly maligned genre). And the third baton I'll toss over to my crazy brother because he reads books.

No comments: